Tuesday 23 March 2010

University conducts mephedrone experiment...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/7499937/Liverpool-John-Moores-University-students-in-mephedrone-experiment.html

As the debate about mephedrone rages on, 50 students attending Liverpool John Moores University have taken part in an experiment - the idea is to hold structured interviews with the subjects to record how they feel after taking the drug.

Dr Cathy Montgomery, the psychology lecturer behind the research said: "During these tests, the university makes it clear they do not condone drug use.

"Until now, most evidence comes from people anecdotally. We will be holding structured interviews with users, asking them how they feel at different time points.

Whilst Liberal Democrat MP John Pugh, who represents Southport, Merseyside has branded the study "highly irresponsible", the question remains, should we be taking more steps to understand more about mephedrone as oppose to simply banning it?  Would banning it alone prevent any more people using it?  Should we concentrate our resources on researching effects of legal highs so at least people are informed?

What do you think of the university experiment??

3 comments:

  1. Studies like this need to be done, in reality the drug war will not stop people experimenting with drugs. Making these compounds illegal merely forces the issue underground where there is no quality control and no useage instructions. Drug policy shouldn't be dictated by politicians and the media, nor should it be directed by the drinks industry trying to get clubbers back onto booze and off mephadrone/MDMA.

    It is also unfortunate that these drugs should be singled out by the media as killers when I know far more lives ruined by cigarettes and I can go buy as many of those as I want right now even though study after study has linked smoking to cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree..

    When something like Mephedrone is becoming such a big focus of today's society, for those taking part, and those onlooking and reading what is written in the papers, is it not one of the most important things to research the effects and true impact of this drug? (like has been done with others in the past)? With the public gaining access to more information on what they are 'consuming', this has more chance of making an impact on the number of users, than it simply being made illegal.

    In addition, i agree with Victoria about the cigarettes (and alochol).. these are two of the highest causes of hostpitalities and violence in the UK especially, yet for tax purposes are both kept well established and undisputed in comparisons to other, less heard about, and less harmful attributes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree.
    I tried this drug when it became illegal and did not research it at all. I was at a party , other drugs had ran out and a friend offered me it. I don't take drugs regularly, and 99% of the times I have tried drugs its been friends that have offered so I don't go through dealers or even pay . This drug, taken responsibl y I think would be far less harmful, however having no idea of the harm it could cause, I took a considerable amount, mixed with about 12hours worth of alcohol.
    I felt severe paranoia , insomnia for a day afterwards, very shakey and loss of vision in one eyes. the way I heard things was very trippy and if it hadn't been for my previous experience in other drugs this might have caused me to freak out. I knew to stay hydrated , but couldn't eat for around 12hrs after the substances was used.

    I have tried this drug , and I know I won't be trying it again. I've been left with large sores in the inside of my mouth, and maybe if drugs like this had more research and info on them I would have decided against trying it rather than wanting to see what all the fuss was about .

    I am a student , and in this lifestyle a lot of ppl tend to think we'll do anything for a buzz. This isn't true and since taking 'miao miao' I've not took any more drugs.

    More needs done about this drug .

    ReplyDelete