Monday 29 March 2010

Calzaghe - still a Golden Boy?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/03/29/calzaghe-says-sorry-after-publication-of-cocaine-stories-91466-26129706/

The above link refers to the news story that sees Joe Calzaghe, a world renowned boxing champion, publicly apologise for his occasional use of cocaine.

The former super middleweight and light-heavyweight world champion said in yesterday’s statement:

 “I very much regret my occasional use of cocaine in what have sometimes been the long days since my retirement from the ring....I am fully aware of the bad example it sets to other people and particularly to youngsters and I apologise to my family, friends and fans....It is not a major problem in my life but it is something which I am actively addressing."

Last night publicist and PR guru Max Clifford said Calzaghe’s “golden boy” image would be hit hard by the revelations.

“I think this will upset a lot of people,” he said....It’s the first real blemish on his career and has tarnished him....The golden boy of British boxing is not as golden as we thought he was. It just diminishes his career."

Do you think that recent stories about Calzaghe ruin his untarnished boxing record or is this story just another inidication of the reality of recreational drug use in the UK?

1 comment:

  1. You know, I have to tell you, I really enjoy this blog and the insight from everyone who participates. I find it to be refreshing and very informative. I wish there were more blogs like it. Anyway, I felt it was about time I posted, I

    ReplyDelete